Friday, 7 August 2026

No, This Is The Happiest

Tonight easily surpassed the night of the last post. It didn't start this way. No plans for the evening, and Levi was supposed to work later into the early evening but ended up finishing early. So we went to see a movie. But I'm getting ahead of myself. 

I'd been feeling a tremendous amount of emotion in recent days. I would say that I'm worried about an imminent heart attack (he wrote on the blog that something felt strange, like he knew he was going to pass...). But I'm not sure. The moxie it took to write that last bit.

A short trip to Nashville with my nephew Matt reminded me of the amazing thing that is family. A trip to see a trio of Canadian bands. The first band was Stars, they should have been the headliner. One song in particular caught my attention. I didn't know the name of the song at the time (having listened to a total of 4 different songs by the band before the night of the show) but I was struck by the song Elevator Love Letter. I've been listening to it for the past 3 days. The line "take me home" repeats a few times and that's what got me. 

So I was appreciating home a little more than usual since Wednesday. Tonight was impromptu movie night. Levi had already seen Spider-Man (whatever the August 2026 one was) but agreed to see it again. Right away I could tell it was going to be something special. Levi drove, Eva in the front seat, parents in the back. His driving was impeccable. He was taught well. Levi and Eva engaged in conversation. Some strayed toward Levi's work as a nursing aide. He spoke about helping people, and how that gave him joy. He said that the residents said they enjoyed his company, and told him he was very polite. Can there be any greater joy for a parent than to hear those words?

The movie came and went. Same configuration for the drive home. Same impeccable driving. Same banter coming from the front seat. Some stuff about bladder size and Eva using country sizes as a comparison. They are friends. They enjoy each other's company. 

Since beginning I'm on my fifth loop of Elevator Love Letter. Take me home indeed. With one moving away to college in less than 2 weeks, and the other planning for next year I don't know how many nights like tonight I have left. I'm going to miss tonight.

I know I should go to sleep. Levi has work tomorrow at 7 and I want to get up and make him breakfast. But I just don't want to lose this feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment