Tuesday 17 August 2021

Dog Days

While this might be a title that's been used before, there are only so many titles appropriate when you post pictures of dogs in, well, summer.

All indoor pics, given the heat. And mostly Calli getting into Cole's business. Laying her head next to his (although she did leave him the full force of the fan).

And then right on top of his paws. Look at poor Cole.

So close together gave a chance for portrait mode.


Cole, famous for moving the kitchen map, seems to want to be there to greet the food that is about to be taken out of the oven.


Dog days also sometimes used to refer to heat, it has been hot. Like go to the pool hot. I don't think the kids quite understand the point of such a an afternoon out.


 

Finally, today, Tuesday August 17, 2021, I may have experienced my proudest parent moment to date. Levi texted from school that he had lost his retainer at lunch. The old threw it away with my tray and napkin deal. Luckily, he realized it shortly afterward, and was bold enough to tell me about it as soon as he realized. I jumped into action. This is one of those times when you have a kid who is overall great (he's done an amazing job with his retainer for over 3 months now) but then throws a curve ball. The initial impulse is to get mad. But I know he didn't mean it, and has been so good for so many months. So I ask him to let the staff know so we isolate the trash as much as possible, and I head down to the school. Two bags sat next to the dumpster out back, so I got to work. Levi wants to help but I ask him to go to class so he won't miss school. 

At the bottom of the second bag, after 20 minutes of sitting on the hot pavement next to the dumpster, going through an amazing amount of leftover food, there was a flash of blue. The bottom retainer! Yes! No matter what now, I thought, we're good since the set came with a spare top half. But I knew I was close. Digging deeper through the grapes that someone brought from home (that seemed to have passed their best about a week ago), various chicken tenders and undrank milk, there was the top half. 

Pack up all the trash like I was never there. Into the dumpster it goes. To the boys' room to clean the retainers. Off to Levi's class to deliver the goods. A pat on the back to Levi and off he goes to class, off I go to work. #dadlife

No comments:

Post a Comment