Saturday 27 June 2015

Ooops

So I forgot to pay off the spoiler alert. The kids had a play. It was awesome, about a guy who chooses not to cut down a tree in the rainforest. The kids are prepping for the play here, Levi doesn't even need hands for his part (as a monkey, Eva was a butterfly).


Ok, so moving past the oversight, here's the thing. I feel like today's update is all about me. I feel like I need to capture specific sentiments today, or I will forget them. They are unremarkable in themselves, but I feel that in 5 years these words will make me cry.

OK, maybe not these first ones. We start off the day out at Malibu Jacks. A pretty great place, I have to admit, but nothing to cry over. Especially playing the duck-hose game.


No, the best part came into the afternoon when we returned home with Levi's new bike. He and I had 2 laps around the block. It was the block over to Cassidy, which I only reference because in 10 years it will be meaningful when I say that Levi had to take a few breaks to get around. But the fact that he asked to go around again a second time, and kept saying "this feels so good" and that he was thinking about this for a long time, was about all I could handle. I could have rode around that block all afternoon long. What a rad dude.


Then we took Cole out for a "walk." Did the same path. Cole started off strong, Levi started off stronger. But after 3/4 of a block, Cole started to lag. Luckily I snapped a pic of him trying to hang on to Levi who was setting the pace.


So then we get to dinner, and hang out with some dessert. Meatloaf, with broccoli and cauliflower. Only written for posterity, knowing this is one entry I will pay close attention to in years to come. Eva finds the ipad mini and tries to find the same games she normally plays.


So then we head out for another bike ride. And this is where is gets really good. Levi and Alexis pull ahead, and do about 8 turns around our block and the next one. Eva and I set the slower pace, and Eva starts to feel some degree of confidence I know she has always had within her. She gets the idea to run the pedals, and once she feels that sense of working toward something and having it go right for her, she smiles and feels so empowered.



She is gaining so much over these weeks. And Levi, starting from a tentative one block trip with many stops to basically running around the neighborhood... life is good. So we end the evening after getting home by spending some time in the cool, 70 degree weather outside in the backyard. Some capture the flag and the foam rocket we got at Malibu Jacks today. Some "watch my butt" along side, rolling on the grass in the twilight. We have the dessert, brownies with caramel. Homemade, all of it. Seriously, my wife makes her own caramel. Some wine, some music, and those Peloza kids. A slow, summer evening where we all feel like we didn't do much except be closer to each other than we ever were before. It doesn't get any better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment